Backstory: Today, I was searching for WordPress theme competitions and challenges to participate in, but no luck. It seems like the WordPress community is tired of it and not a lot of designers do participate when there is a challenge or competition. So, I decided to run one for myself.
The challenge is to create and publish one free WordPress theme each day for
thirty 32 consecutive days. I got this idea from Phu Ly (a developer living in London). He did it for six straight days. Freaking amazing, I know! So what makes me think that I can match that and then survive for another 24 26 days? I HAVE NO IDEA! Some people are impulse shoppers. I’m an impulse goal setter. Let’s move on to…
The rules: (If you spot any room for errors or areas that I could possibly exploit to get lazy on the quality of my themes, better correct me now before I dig myself a hole.)
- Starts on
January 15, 2007January 17, 2007
- One theme per day
- “Quality, not quantity” (ironically 🙂 )
- No recycling other designers’ WordPress themes
- No skinning of open source XHTML and CSS templates into themes
- Ends on
February 13, 2007February 17, 2007
- I’m not a PHP programmer.
- And, I don’t know enough about creating fluid/liquid layouts.
Ideas and Inspirations: (How I will come up with 30 themes.)
- Original concepts
- Blog design versions of popular gadgets, games, etc.
- Redesign of famous sites and blogs
If you have any idea, suggestion, and/or tip on how to improve the guidelines for this challenge, please, do post/comment. Wish me luck!